I have put together a simple chat client while playing with node and socket socket.io in order to address the lack of a decent chat client at work. It is currently stateless, requires no authentication, persists nothing and permits rich media embedding such as gifs, spotify, youtube, vimeo while allowing users to create private rooms. I’m calling it Banterbin because it encourages open banter among colleagues.
Upload images using the form or by drag and dropping onto the chat
Youtube supports timecode support
Videos can be pinned to the top of the chat to prevent scrolling out of view.
Linked content is fetched and previewed for the majority of link types
Ability to delete messages while being viewed on other client browsers - click the cross on the top right of the message
- 2014-05-29-0-41 socket-ii updated
- 2014-06-06-0-34 adds ability to retract messages
- 2014-07-23-0-48 adds ability to dock items to float on top
- 2014-07-23-14-19 updated dock styling and videos replace eachother like switching tv stations
- 2014-08-06 adds alt+k shortcut to clear conversations
- 2014-08-17 new darker theme with image background
- 2015-03-26 check out private disposable email mytemp.email